Overview: Online job boards in South Africa
Since the late 1990s, South Africa started to see job advertisements online on both classifieds websites and job boards, where people could post jobs practically without an account. Bear in mind that the definition of a job board then was really a replica of what one finds offline, in shopping centres and supermarkets.
The online job boards of today are much more sophisticated, with candidate sections to create and upload CVs, set alerts and browse thousands of jobs with keywords and strings of text. For employers and recruiters too, job boards offer enormous databases of millions of CVs to browse through and contact for vacancies they are recruiting on.
Here is a brief list of the larger job boards in South Africa, with some commentary on each. Simply click on each to go to their website.
- Executive Placements and Job Placements
- The Job Centre
– Run as a subsidiary of Media24 under the Naspers banner, Careers24 has grown to one of the largest job websites in the country.
– Owned by SAON Group, in turn owned by recruitment website giant Stepstone, CareerJunction was one of the first online job websites to allow one to create a proper CV, hugely increasing the value of it’s database searchability.
– Also owned by Stepstone, PNet also started a CV database in its early years, however only allowed text searches on uploaded files.
– The job website daughter of mother company Junkmail, Jobmail has a large amount of jobs on display and is well-known in the northern parts of South Africa, especially Gauteng.
– An up-and-coming job board which has recently (2016) undergone rebranding.
– A large job site which has appeared in an AIM Group report before.
– Both run by the same company, these job sites lists thousands of positions, some added to their websites alone, with others
– Run by international firm DGNET Ltd, BestJobs exists in a few countries and the group also offer recruitment solutions for companies. The South African website has a good spread of job adverts from various sources.
– Typical job website with a space for job seekers and employers.
– Although not a job site alone, BizCommunity is well-known in South Africa as a portal for posting jobs to get good exposure, especially for certain industries, such as media.
– CareerWeb focuses on IT Jobs and is affiliated with ITWeb.co.za.
Other online job boards in South Africa
There are many smaller or niche job boards, such as HotelJobs.co.za (hospitality industry jobs) or Jobsburn.com (digital industry jobs).
Since the country’s digital landscape is not as big as other countries, there are fewer large online job boards in South Africa. Yet the job market is well-covered online and most companies note the reach that online recruitment can bring.
Note: Kindly comment below or contact me if you would like to add to the list of job boards in South Africa above.